This creamy, savory deviled ham spread is one of the best things you can do with tasty leftover ham! It is a wonderful appetizer, picnic food, or lazy Saturday night dinner with crackers and veggies. You only need a few ingredients you probably have on hand and 5 minutes to put it together!
I missed out on Deviled Ham in my Pacific Northwest childhood but I’m more than making up for it now! If you happen to find yourself with a few cups of leftover holiday ham try this delicious ham salad spread ASAP!
Delicious, Delicious Deviled Ham!
Deviled Ham is a simple and unpretentious appetizer, snack, or lunch! It could be considered the saltier version of chicken salad but usually it is a bit thicker like a spread. It is made from chunks of salty ham chopped small, made creamy and seasoned with spices and green onion. The ham HAS to be good quality because the flavor is all about the ham! At the end of the day ham spread is a Southern Thing and I love them for it!
Some people contend that you can make Deviled Ham out of lunch meat style ham. I don’t like it as well for a “nice” appetizer but I will agree that a high quality deli meat could make a lovely spread if you are absolutely determined to try.
This is what I call a flexible appetizer. You can make it for kids, game night, the big football game, or a society party and it will fit right in. It is lovely smeared on crackers or bread but I suggest serving it along with pickles and cheese slices. If you try a unique way to serve it I would love to hear about It!
What is “deviling” anyways?
“Deviling” used to be a food term that meant something was prepared with a lot of heat and spice. Once upon a time people knew that deviled eggs were different than stuffed eggs. Now “deviled” is much more uncommon. Deviled eggs survived the change in times but most other foods with the term “deviled” in them have faded away. Of course some of us just can’t let it go! Case in point – I still make a dish named Chocolate Cheesecake Deviled Strawberries that is very popular!
The Best Ways to Eat Deviled Ham Spread
There are SO many delicious ways to eat Deviled Ham but this list will get you started!
- Serve it with crackers or cut veggies for an appetizer
- Make up a tray with deviled ham, crackers, slices of cheese and some sweet or dill pickles
- Pack it in a picnic with crusty bread
- Add it to your next grilled cheese sandwich
- Slather it on warm biscuits
- Include it in a collection of spreads next to another Southern Favorite, Pimento Cheese
- Use it for sandwich filler
Leftover Ham Recipes
The very BEST part of a good ham dinner (holiday or otherwise) is the tasty leftover ham! Sure – it makes great sandwiches but consider a few of these other tasty recipes for using leftover ham.
Deviled Ham Spread
- 2 cups chunks of leftover ham (this is about 10oz)
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (mayo lovers use 1/2 cup)
- 1 green onion minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (use 1/4 teaspoon if you want spicy)
- Dice the ham and then pulse in a food processor until it is in small pieces but not a paste. Just a few pulses should do it. You want texture.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve with crackers or bread. I like to serve cheese, pickles and olives at the same time so that guests can combine as they desire.
I read each and every comment and I try to respond to questions asap, so ask away! If you’ve made a recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please come back and share your experience and give the recipe a 5-star rating so other people will know how much you loved it!
Originally published January of 2015. Updated March of 2021.