This pumpkin cake is moist and spicy – then it gets slathered with fluffy cream cheese frosting! You can make the cake and frosting in just a few steps. I probably should have called it pumpkin perfection!
I started testing pumpkin recipes for fall two weeks ago! Why? Because I love you guys and you love pumpkin… And honestly as much as I enjoy summer I’m pretty much a die hard fall and spring girl. I like my crisp leaves, warm soups and pumpkin spice cakes!
Summer has been hot and long and now it is smokey. There was an epic camping trip with four toddlers that I thought was going to actually kill me and an incident with expired sunscreen that turned me into a painful, whiny lobster. Summer is just not my friend. Besides, we have had our fun but September is almost here so I’m calling it open season on all things pumpkin!
So – the kids are heading back to school, life is finding a new busy rhythm and the level of chaos is about the same as ever, right? I thought I would keep this cake simple. It is a classic sheet cake with minimal prep. The cake crumb is moist and dense – so basically perfect. The frosting is a whipped cream cheese (because what else could you even think of putting on pumpkin cake???!!!???)
This is an easy go to all fall. Enjoy!
Have a great week guys. Thanks for stopping by to cook with me!
Tools In This Post: Do you own a good whisk? If not why not? A good one is $5. It should be strong, comfortable in your hand and not too expensive. This is a basic kitchen tool you need to own. If you bake a lot buy 2-3. You won’t regret it!
Can’t get enough pumpkin? Check out my Insane Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake!
Easy Pumpkin Cake
For The Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can pumpkin puree 15 oz
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil or vegitable
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
For The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package cream cheese 8oz, room temp
- 1 cup salted butter room temp
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- walnuts or pecans to garnish optional
To Make The Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes or a cake tester / toothpick comes out with damp crumbs.
- When the cake is cool to the touch prepare frosting.
To Make The Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the cream cheese and butter. Use the whisk to beat on medium speed until combined.
- Scrape the bowl and add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat on slow until just combined and then beat on high until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Spread frosting on the cake and garnish with walnuts or pecans as desired.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!