Sweet and spicy with layers of rich cream cheese frosting, this simple Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bunt Cake hits the spot every time! A yummy brown sugar gaze tops it off!
This pumpkin cake is an extravagant dessert. It is not for somebody that does not like sweats. Insane Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake is only for those people who love a rich and decadent fall treat.
The cake itself is spicy and satisfying for pumpkin lovers. The filling has air beaten into it to make a fluffy layer of cream cheese. Brown sugar glaze flows over the top of the cake to create a sweet crust over the entire dessert. I would say it is magnificent, but you might think I was bragging.
Usually I bake a pumpkin log cake in the fall but this year I felt the desire to experiment with something fun and different. I am so glad I did! This was a wonderful twist on my classic recipe. Even Jonathan gave in and had seconds.
This past weekend Jonathan joined in on my baking projects. We fell in love cooking together and it always fills my love tank when we take time to play together in the kitchen. My husband is a wonderful cook but he is not an experienced baker. This was an easy project for him as well as me. So – go forth and bake without any fear of the four layer bundt cake!
If you love pumpkin, don’t miss my easy “how to” for making pumpkin pie from fresh pie pumpkins! It is a real treat.
Insane Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
- For The Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
For the Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
- 16 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
For the Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. mulled apple cider or apple juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup of the cream cheese filling
- To Make The Cake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Be careful to spray all the crevices of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a second mixing bowl combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Beat together with a spoon until mixed.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into the wet until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until top springs back to the touch and a cake tester comes back clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool on the counter for at least 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. When it has cooled a bit, place the cake (still in the pan) in the refrigerator until fully chilled.
- To Make the Whipped Cream Cheese Filling: Put all ingredients in a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until combined. Scrap the sides with a spatula to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Turn the mixer up to high and beat for 3-4 minutes. The filling will be light and fluffy.
- To Make the Brown Sugar Glaze: In a small microwave safe bowl, stir together the brown sugar and apple cider. Microwave for 30 seconds until the sugar starts to dissolve.
- Stir in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of the cream cheese filling. The glaze will be runny.
- To assemble the cake: Gently remove the cake from the bundt pant and slice it into four layers with a sharp bread knife. Remove each layer to a plate and set aside.
- Place the bottom layer on your serving platter and spread one third of the filling on top of it. Place the next layer on top of it taking care to align the pattern of each cake tier. Continue to stack layers of cake and filling until the top tier is on.
- Use a spoon to drizzle on the glaze allowing it to spill over the sides.
- Chill the cake until ready to serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.