This Sweet, Salty and Crunchy CARAMEL CHEX MIX is guaranteed to make you new friends! It is the perfect party treat! A word of warning – it is also borderline addictive! (This recipe can easily be made Gluten Free.)
Christmas Chex Mix
Caramel Chex Mix is a Christmas time staple. Make it for a quiet family evening or a big rowdy gathering. This is an easy one to make with kiddos so plan ahead to cook it together and stash some memories away for the future!
Chex Mix Ingredients
This recipe needs 14 cups of “mix” ingredients. You can swap things in and out of the recipe if you like!
- rice Chex (basic ingredient – don’t swap this one)
- corn Chex (basic ingredient – don’t swap this one)
- favorite nuts or mix of nuts (use roasted / salted nuts here)
- pretzels or gluten free pretzels
- pretzel fish crackers
- bagel chips
- crispy crackers
- other favorite cereals such as Crispix or Cherrios
- chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or M&Ms (sprinkle on after the mix is out of the oven and cooling)
- Bugles chips
Chex Mix In The Oven
The oven is the best place to cook Chex Mix. Using a microwave usually makes a more soggy snack mix. It just isn’t worth it.
Some Other Favorite Snacks
Caramel Chex Mix
- 5 cups rice Chex
- 5 cups corn Chex
- 2 cups whole cashews I get the roasted and salted kind
- 2 cups pretzels I used mini twists – can use Gluten Free
- ½ cup lite corn syrup
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine both kinds of Chex, the cashews and the pretzels. Use a rubber spatula to stir gently until mixed.
- Combine corn syrup, brown sugar and butter in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat while whisking. Boil for 1 minutes, whisking. Pour over mix and stir tossing gently with the rubber spatula.
- Divide the mixture between 2 cookie sheets. Bake 350F for 8 minutes.
- Spread on foil to cool and then break up.