Taco Balls: Think delicious tacos but meatloaf or meatball style. An easy and sensational dinner from my friend Crazy Kim.
Oh Taco Balls, how I love you! This recipe comes from my friend Crazy Kim. Every woman needs at least one girlfriend who’s name you can put “crazy” in front of. Kim is that person in my life. Crazy, full of fun, laughs out loud all the time and always reminds me to grab life by the horns. This is the girl that hiked the 100 mile wilderness on the Appalachian trail pregnant. You can’t not be inspired by her!
Kim brought us Taco Balls after Jack was born. I had heard from our mutual friend about this strange dinner and was not sure quite what to think. It turned out to be amazing! We love all things Mexican food but this was over the top great. We may or may not have stuffed ourselves…
Taco Balls is simply seasoned meat balls (similar to meat loaf) that are essentially taco flavored. We eat them on a plate with fixings or stuffed into fresh tortillas. You can bake them up and freeze them to for later. Leftovers reheat very well too. This has become one of our staple dinners!
Tools In This Post: I make Mexican Rice all the time because it takes me five minutes to toss it into my rice cooker. I don’t believe in owning an appliance for every kitchen task but this one is well worth it. We use ours several times a week!
Taco Balls: An Easy Dinner Where Tacos and Meatloaf Meet
To Make The Taco Balls
- 1 lbs hamburger no more than 10% fat
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 package of taco seasoning or what you usually use for 1 lbs of beef
- 1 tsp. garlic salt or onion salt
- 1 cup of cooked Mexican or white rice
- 2 eggs beaten
- 12 oz bottle of red or green taco sauce any brand, whatever level of heat you like
- 1 can of condensed cheese soup I use Campbell's
- 8 - 12 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend or whatever cheese you love for tacos
Serve With Your Favorite Taco Toppings
- additional Mexican Rice
- tortillas we love to stuff warm tortillas with taco balls
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 9x9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Crumble the beef into a bowl. Add the chopped onions, taco seasoning, garlic or onion salt, rice and eggs.
- If desired use food service gloves or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray. Use your hands to mix the contents of the bowl until combined but do not over mix.
- Divide the meat into 9 portions and form into balls. Place in the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the taco sauce and cheese soup. After the balls have baked for 20 minutes spoon the sauce over the balls. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake another 20 minutes.
MirlandrasKitchen.com is written to share great recipes. While we do our best to provide nutritional information as a general guideline, we are not registered dietitians and the values provided here should be considered estimates – not exact scientific data.