The oven is the easiest way to make perfect, crispy, golden hash browns! They taste amazing, never burn and you don’t have to slave in the kitchen!
Raise your hand if you LOVE breakfast! Bacon, eggs, hash browns, pancakes, sausage, coffee, orange juice – am I speaking your language yet?
Since Jonathan and I got married, Saturday mornings have been for breakfast. And not just some oatmeal – I’m talking big scale productions that cover the table in piles of food. Ok, to tell the truth sometimes that man gets a bit carried away but I really love that part of him. I also love breakfast so getting carried away about breakfast is pretty easy for me to stomach 😉
In his quest for amazing breakfast Jonathan has tried a lot of different ways of making hash browns. The problem is he gets easily distracted with his epic cooking projects and we have had more than a few burned batches. I think at this point we have tried cooking hash browns with every method possible! After years of trial and error I’m convinced that oven hash browns are the BEST!
They come out crispy.
You don’t have to stir.
The potatoes get tossed in, you set a timer and then breakfast is ready!
So how do you like them apples? Yeah…I thought so.
Unless you have a house elf hidden somewhere I don’t know about (geeky Harry Potter reference) you need this breakfast recipe!
Have a great week guys. Thanks for stopping by to cook with me!
Tools In This Post: Hash browns that are shredded in a food processor actually have a better texture for cooking! And it saves a ton of time / getting your fingers on a box grater. This is a good tool to invest in for quite a few cooking projects.
If you love breakfast as much as we do try these pancakes. They are amazing and readers tell me all the time this is now their only pancake recipe!
ARE YOU CONFIDENT IN YOUR KITCHEN?
I teach busy moms How to Cook the Perfect Family Dinner EVERY Night in 30 Minutes or Less Without Being Stuck in “Kitchen Jail.”
Want to learn more? Come check out my class, The Confident Kitchen!
Crispy Oven Hash Browns
- 5 1/2 cups peeled and grated potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. salted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. powdered chicken bouillon such as Knorr
- ¼ tsp. seasoning salt
- ¼ - ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper course grind
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Peel potatoes and shred in a food processor with the shredding attachment (preferred) or with a box grater.
- Put the shredded potatoes in a large bowl and fill with cold water. Swish and then dump the potatoes into a colander.
- Put the potatoes back into the bowl and repeat twice more. The water will be fairly clear when you are done.
- One handful at a time, squeeze shredded potatoes as hard as you can to get as much water out as possible before returning them to the bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss by hand until well mixed.
- Scatter the potatoes over the lined pan as evenly as possible.
- Bake in preheated oven on the bottom rack for about 15 minutes. When the edges are starting to brown, move the pan to the top rack. Bake for another 15 minutes until crisp. (No need to stir at any point!)
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from here.