This Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole is a family favorite full of flavorful rice and creamy sauce with celery, mushrooms and chicken. It only takes 10 minutes to get it into the oven which makes it perfect for busy nights! If you have leftovers they heat up well.
How to Make Great Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic that most people love but there are a lot of BAD recipes out there. Often they are boring, bland or even dry! It is a simple dinner, sure, but there is no reason it can’t have amazing flavor!
This easy recipe is my answer to America’s favorite casserole. Lots of bold flavor but still a simple dinner that you can tweak any way you like for your family. Love cheese? By all means add some! Kids won’t eat mushrooms? Leave them out. Want more veggies? Add broccoli or carrots? Make it the way you love it!
Drop me a line in the comments and let me know how your family likes to eat it!
Tools In This Post: A digital thermometer is one of my most important kitchen tools. It is handy to make sure my chicken is fully cooked but not overdone. My favorite brand is ThermoPro. This one is on sale right now for about 1/3 or regular price!
More Easy Chicken Dinners
- Cheesy Hatch Chile Chicken Bake
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice With Mushrooms
- White Enchiladas With Chicken and Rice
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups celery diced
- 8 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice short grain white
- 2 Tbsp. dehydrated onion
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1/2 tsp. course ground black pepper
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 cans condensed cream soup celery, mushroom or chicken - my favorite is one can celery, one can mushroom
- 32 oz chicken stock 1 box
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add butter, water, celery, mushrooms and salt to a large frying pan and cook over medium high 3 minutes until starting to soften. If excess liquid remains, discard it.
- Spread the rice in the bottom of a rectangular 9”x13” casserole dish. Scatter the cooked veggies and the dehydrated onion over this.
- Place the chicken on the rice and veggies, evenly spaced.
- Sprinkle celery salt, pepper and onion soup mix over that.
- Open cans of cream soup and scoop dollops of if unto and around the chicken until it is pretty much evenly spread out in lumps. No need to smooth out.
- Pour the stock over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about an hour until rice is tender and chicken has reached 160 F with an internal thermometer. I check the dish after 45 minutes and then at an hour.