This simple Chocolate Cream Pie has a decadent chocolate filling, perfect Oreo crust and a homemade whipped cream top! The perfect anytime dessert!
Does it get any better than Chocolate Cream Pie? I don’t know that it does! Now when I say Chocolate Cream Pie if you are thinking of instant pudding you need to back that truck up and start again.
I’m talking real chocolate and eggs and milk on amazing cookie crust all smoothed in home made whipped cream! Are you with me now?
This pie does not take very long to make and the results are epic. It is totally worth it! Make it now for a BBQ and then make it again for Thanksgiving! Or really just because…
Have a great week guys. Thanks for stopping by to cook with me!
Tools In This Post: I used this Wilton 1M tip to pipe on the whipped cream. You just swirl it on and it is easy as pie (if you don’t mind me saying so). This tip also makes pretty cupcakes in several designs and I use it all the time in the kitchen. It is worth having on hand!
I also recommend disposable pastry bags as a kitchen staple if you do this kind of decorating occasionally.
Love chocolate? This Black Magic Cake is one of my all time most popular chocolate desserts!
Chocolate Cream Pie
For the Crust:
- 26 Oreos about 2/3 of a package
- 4 Tbsp. butter melted
For The Pie Filling:
- 1 can evaporated milk 12oz
- 2 large egg yokes
- 2 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
For The Whipped Cream (Stabilized Whipped Cream):
- 2 tsp. unflavored gelatin Knox is the name brand but any brand is fine
- 8 tsp. cold water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar or adjust the sugar to taste
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract or another favorite extract such as lemon orange, or almond
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Mini chocolate chips to garnish optional
To Make The Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Pulse the Oreos in a food processor for about 30 seconds until they are finely ground and no chunks remain.
- Stir in the melted butter and dump crust mixture into a 9 1/2" pie pan. Press the mixture into the sides of the pan first and then the bottom.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes in a 350 F oven until the crust is just set. Remove to rack to cool.
To Make The Filling:
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together evaporated milk and egg yolks over medium heat. Continue to whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a boil. It should just be starting to thicken, about 13 minutes depending on your stove.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until fully melted and no lumps remain.
- Stir in almond extract, vanilla and salt. Pour filling into crust and place in fridge to set up, at least 3 hours or until firm.
To Make The Whipped Cream:
- Measure water into a small microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Stir the gelatin into it. Set it aside while you make the other preparations.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat with the whisk attachment on high for 1 minute. This is the time to taste and adjust for additional sugar if desired)
- While the mixer is running, microwave the gelatin mixture for 20 seconds or until the chunk of gelatin turns to thick, syrupy liquid.
- Continue beating the cream on high while slowly pouring the gelatin into the cream in a thin stream. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Use a 1M open star piping tip and decorating bag to swirl cream unto pie if or smooth on with a spatula.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings if desired.
MirlandrasKitchen.com is written to share great recipes. While we do our best to provide nutritional information as a general guideline, we are not registered dietitians and the values provided here should be considered estimates – not exact scientific data.