Broccoli is a beloved snack, appetizer, and side dish at our house because we serve it up right with an easy Korean BBQ Sauce for dipping. Traditional flavors of ginger, garlic, green onions and soy sauce make for some darn good sauce! Kids and adults love the sweet and salty flavor and the broccoli disappears fast.
A new year is here and once again we are all trying hard to eat more of the green stuff! I think broccoli actually tastes really great but it needs to be prepared well and served right.
Steamed Broccoli with Korean bbq dipping sauce
One of our most popular serving methods is a simple Korean BBQ Dipping Sauce. Broccoli has a bold flavor that goes well with other bold flavors like ginger, garlic and soy sauce. We steam the broccoli carefully and serve it hot or cold with this sauce. Kids and adults gobble the pretty green veggie up and sometimes fingers even get licked off… The sauce is that good!
A Healthy Appetizer
You might even go so far as to try serving this at the super bowl this year! I know the traditional veggie tray with ranch is always enjoyed but you will be surprised how popular this broccoli and sauce goes!
The sauce keeps well for up to a month in the refrigerator and can be used as a dipping sauce for other vegetables, grilled meats and seafood, rice, or pot stickers.
Enjoy those veggies!
Tools In This Post: Owning a steamer insert for your pans is a great way to cook vegetables well. This is the one I own because I love Calphalon pans. Most similar steamers should work well for you. I don’t think this is a tool you need to be picky about but it is worth owning.
Love these Korean flavors? Give these Korean BBQ Short Ribs a try. They are some of our favorites!
Broccoli with Korean BBQ Dipping Sauce
- ⅔ cup soy sauce low sodium or regular as desired
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger I use Gourmet Garden ginger located near the herb section of your grocery store
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional - see note
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons green onions minced
- In a medium bowl whisk all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Let the sauce sit while you steam the broccoli.
- Tips for Steaming Perfect Broccoli:
- I find most people like broccoli when it has been steamed just until it is tender crisp. Broccoli that has been steamed tender crisp is just soft enough to chew but not so soft it will mash easily under your finger when pressed.
- I suggest checking your broccoli after 4 minutes. If it is easy to pierce it with a fork run a piece under cold water until it is cool enough to eat and try a piece and see if it is done enough for you.
- If not, continue to steam checking every 1-2 minutes until done.
Can I skip the broccoli and drink the dipping sauce straight? It’s incredible! It makes the broccoli a true treat. I bet it could be used make other bland vegetables exciting as well.
You could! I like it in moderation. It is also nice as a salad dressing…