Most people make an apple crisp with some cinnamon and maybe a few other spices if they think of it. This recipe is all about the spices – loaded in like there is no tomorrow! It’s amazing, it’s electric, it’s the mother of all Apple Crisp recipes on the planet. OK, well, it’s a favorite of mine and I think it’s pretty special.
In my family this is traditionally breakfast food. Sometimes my mom would make one for dessert and then we would warm it gently the next day and pour milk on it like cereal. I think it is quite good that way. Serve it with whipped cream or ice cream or as breakfast. I hope your family enjoys this wonderful treat as much as mine does!
I use a mandolin like this Japanese one to get the apples thin and perfect. It’s fast and easy and all the apples are the same size. The thin texture creates this perfect mouth feel which quickly makes this apple crisp better than the others.
For an extra treat whip up a batch of No-Churn Pralines and Cream Ice Cream to go with your crisp.
- 3-4 Fuji apples sliced thinly to make 4 cups
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Slice apples as thin as the setting on you mandolin goes. This makes the perfect texture for your filling and allows the apples to cook through in time to not burn the topping.
- Stir up with a little salt and cinnamon. You don't want to make the apples salty, just use a table shaker to get a little on there.
- Spread filling in medium cast iron skillet or a 9x9 casserole dish. Cut up the butter and dot around the fruit.
- In a medium bowl mix all the topping ingredients until they come together.
- Using your hands scatter the topping mix over the filling until it is more or less evenly distributed.
- Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes. Apples should be tender with a fork and the topping should be a dark golden brown but not burned.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!