Well roasted asparagus is a real treat! The secret is simple seasoning, good timing and of course adding some mushrooms! This is a quick and easy side dish that goes well with just about anything.
There are several great ways to cook asparagus but making roasted asparagus with mushrooms is one of my favorites! It is fast, easy and the results are consistently great. Asparagus is one of the “problem child” vegetables. Lots of people have had bad experiences with it because it was cooked badly or just plain wrong. I find that many people who think they don’t like asparagus just need to have it cooked right.
Roasting Asparagus in the Oven
If you have ever eaten mushy spears of asparagus you know what I’m talking about! Generally this is a vegetable that should be cooked “tender crisp”. All that means is that when you bite into a spear of asparagus it should be tender with the smallest crunch.
Oven roasted asparagus is more forgiving when it comes to overcooking. The oven crisps it up just a bit and if you go over a few minutes you still have great flavor and texture.
If you have kids this is a good way to introduce them to asparagus even if they are not quite ready for mushrooms. Check out the notes at the bottom of the recipe if you have any questions on how to pick out good quality asparagus in the store!
Tools In This Post: Most kitchens need 2-4 good quality sheet pans. Flimsy ones do a bad job cooking your food and are not worth it! Invest in a brand like Calphalon where the pans are sturdy. They will last you years for roasting, cookies, cakes etc. This is one you won’t regret.
What are you serving with this asparagus? Maybe this perfect oven roast beef? Mmmmmm….
Oven Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms
- 1 pound asparagus see note
- 8 oz Cremini mushrooms quartered (also called baby bella mushrooms)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper coarsely ground
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Trim the root ends from the asparagus spears about 1” or enough to remove any white or purple part. Cut the mushrooms in quarters
- Arrange the asparagus down the long side of a rimmed baking sheet, spreading the spears out a bit. Arrange the mushrooms in the remaining space below.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over all the vegetables. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes stirring once in the middle. When the asparagus is tender and tips are browning it is done. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.
Nothing screams spring like fresh asparagus lightly steamed with butter, fresh lemon zest and juice!!
Oh that sounds wonderful! I have a bundle of asparagus in the fridge for dinner this week. I might just have to do it with butter and lemon!