This Baked Pineapple Casserole is a Southern classic that makes you think of a really good French toast casserole with fruit and brown sugar. It is usually served as a side dish with ham (which is amazing) but can also be made for breakfast or brunch. Serve it warm or cold and watch it steal the show at Easter!
Last week I had never even heard of Baked Pineapple Casserole. I was doing some research on pineapple recipes and discovered it out of the blue! Most of the recipes I saw had cheddar cheese – yes, I know, it sounds pretty crazy!!! But there were a few that didn’t. The combo still sounded kind of different to me but I thought it was worth trying.
The first batch I made reminded me of a French toast casserole or a tropical bread pudding. Everybody said it was a dish commonly served with ham and if I were going to make stuffing to go with ham THIS is exactly what it would taste like!
It is also what I think of when I think of Southern food. Lots of butter, don’t hold the sugar, made for a potluck and just a bit eccentric. I took my first batch to a potluck (seemed fitting) and people were already asking for the recipe. This one is a hit for sure!
Tools In This Post: Rubber spatulas are inexpensive and really important to things like bowl scraping and folding. You don’t need expensive or name brand ones. Any silicon spatula that is one piece and heat resistant should work well! The two piece ones come apart and are hard to clean. Sometimes you will want to use the spatula somewhere hot so make sure you buy a set that can handle the heat!
If you bake a pineapple casserole, chances are you might want to bake a good Honey, Brown Sugar and Cinnamon glazed Ham too!
Baked Pineapple Casserole (Without Cheese)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 8 slices white bread I’m using a rectangular shaped loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 F and butter or spray a 9”x12” casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat the softened butter and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until fully incorporated. Then add the vanilla and again incorporate. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Drain the pineapple and drink the juice! Add the drained pineapple to the egg mixture.
- Place the slices of bread on cutting board in a stack. Use a serrated bread knife to remove the crusts and discard them (or leave them on if you prefer). Cut the remaining bread into small cubes about ½” x ½”.
- Gently fold (see note) the bread into the egg mixture until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 45 – 50 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and the top has turned golden brown.
- Serve hot, warm or cold with ham or pork roast or even as a breakfast treat! This makes six large squares or 8 medium ones.
I read each and every comment and I try to respond to questions asap, so ask away! If you’ve made a recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please come back and share your experience and give the recipe a 5-star rating so other people will know how much you loved it!
Miranda, thanks for another good side dish recipe. Good luck with your pregnancy/delivery, babies children are precious and doesn’t matter what the sex is, just so they’re healthy. I have 3 boys and all were surprises, like opening up a present all 3 times
Thanks, Denise! I can’t agree more. We are just happy to have another little one heading our way!
Thank you! Just wanted to add that the vanilla in the ingredients isn’t reflected in the recipe. Added mine at the last minute so I hope it’s OK!
Hi Lauren – thank you SO much for letting me know! Looks like it got missed when I uploaded the recipe. I’ve fixed that now. It is great to hear from you and always glad for the chance to make sure a recipe is perfect 🙂 Hope it turned out well for you. Have a great week!
I have a question. I want to do as much thanksgiving prep as possible, before thanksgiving. Can this be made ahead?
I’m sorry I’m just getting back to you now. I was having a baby and I’m just getting caught back up! I have not made this ahead and reheated it but I think you could do that! Let me know if you tried it how it worked 🙂