These oatmeal cookies with chocolate frosting are as decadent as they come. Rich, buttery frosting with deep chocolate flavor tops moist, chewy cookies.
What separates a good oatmeal cookie from a oatmeal cookie of greatness? Rich, buttery European chocolate sauce. In this case the sauce is so good that the cookie could start to feel like a delivery mechanism for chocolate.
If a delivery mechanism they are, these cookies are still wonderful in and of themselves. They are moist and chewy with a caramel- like flavor.
I think that is all I need to say on the subject. Go forth and make the most decadent oatmeal cookies you have ever tasted!
Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Frosting
For The Bars
- 2 sticks salted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut optional
For The Frosting
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 6oz
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- To make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a stand mixer beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar on high for three minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, oatmeal and coconut if using. Beat on medium speed until mixed. Scrape bowl as needed.
- Press the dough into a 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 F until the edges are golden brown and the middle is just set, about 20-25 minutes.
- To Make The Sauce: Melt chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave. If you melt it in the microwave, stir at 30 second intervals until it is fully melted. Set aside
- Mix eggs and sugar in a medium sauce pan. This can be done by hand with a whisk or with a hand mixer on high.
- Add the chocolate to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat - stirring constantly- until the mixture becomes very warm to the touch. Do not overcook as the egg will cook into chunks.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the butter and vanilla. Pour over the bars while still hot, smoothing to the edges.
- Cool bars to room temperature and then refrigerate until chilled. Cut and serve.
- Note: These bars are wonderful with or without the coconut! Enjoy to your preference.
I read each and every comment and I try to respond to questions asap, so ask away! If you’ve made a recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please come back and share your experience and give the recipe a 5-star rating so other people will know how much you loved it!