This Asian Coleslaw has a bright dressing that brings everything together with savory Asian seasonings. It is the perfect summer side dish for BBQ etc.
It has been about 1,000 degrees in Boise this week! OK, maybe more like 100 but either way I should not have roasted two hams and baked bread on Monday. Bad, bad, bad idea. I would say live and learn but every summer I almost die from heatstroke due to some insane cooking whim.
Assuming YOU are smarter and are making nice cool refreshing summer foods, then you need this Asian Coleslaw. It is tangy and refreshing and goes great with all your summer favorites. I love the pop of the oranges and dried cranberries. It probably would have gone great with the ham I made but of course I roasted pineapple because my kitchen was not hot enough already!
Tools In This Post: I shred cabbage in a flash with this food processor. It is a well used appliance at our house and has held up well for years and years now.
Love coleslaw? Try my amazing classic coleslaw. It is one of my most popular posts of all time!
Healthy Asian Coleslaw
- 2 lbs cabbage shredded
- 5 green onions minced
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup of Craisens cheery flavored is nice
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar I'm using Marukan brand
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained
- Remove core from cabbage and shred in a food processor or by hand.
- Mince onions and combine with cabbage in a large bowl. Add almonds, craisens, and sesame seeds. Toss to combine
- In a separate bowl whisk together oil, sesame oil, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate 24 hours to marinate. Toss again before serving and add the drained oranges.
Special thanks to my amazing book club friend Jen who introduced me to this wonderful dish and passed on her recipe. I adapted it some but the “bones” are hers.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!