This Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a beautiful and simple dessert that will always steal the dinnertime show.
Life has been busy. Very busy. Jonathan and I are preparing for three trips to four states in two weeks. We are also buying our first house and packing in preparation for moving day. When life gets this crazy we have to make sacrifices but we are careful to protect the time we sit down together as a family to share dinner. This is my favorite time of the day!
This summer one of the treats we are enjoying with family dinner is this simple and delicious strawberry ice cream sandwich cake.
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This cake is really simple to put together. Make layers of ice cream and freeze in cake pans. Make layers of rice crispy treats in cake pans. Put it all together and pretty it up a bit!
The result was a fun Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. Chewy and creamy – full of one of my favorite ice creams. Watching Jack try to figure out how to eat it without getting brain freeze was the perfect end to a lovely family dinner.
Can’t get enough great fruit this spring? Give this elegant Red White and Blue Fruit Salad a try. It is a runaway hit!
Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 6 cups of Signature Kitchens® Crispy Rice Cereal
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 bag of Signature Kitchens Mini Marshmallows 10.5oz
- 2 cartons Signature SELECT™ Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream 1.5 quart size
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream to garnish if desired
- Prepare two 9” cake pans by lining with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Take one large square of the paper and press into each pan so the pans are lined with additional paper hanging over the edges. You may butter the paper for easier release if you like.
- Measure the cereal and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl combine the butter and marshmallows. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes until melted. Whisk the mixture together until smooth.
- Stir in the cereal and divide evenly between the two cake pans. Butter your hands or a spatula and use to press the mixture flat.
- Cool in the refrigerator for a few minutes until firm.
- When firm, use the corners to lift the cereal layers out and set back in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the cake.
- Use a large square of plastic wrap to line the cake pans again with the corners hanging over the edge.
- Put 1 carton of ice cream in each cake pan: place scoops evenly in the pan and use a spoon to firmly press the ice cream down until you have formed one even layer. The cake pan will be about half full. Freeze the ice cream layers until they are solid and you are ready to serve the cake.
- When Ready to Serve: Peel the plastic wrap off one of the layers of ice cream. Place on a platter to form the first layer. Peel the paper off of the cereal layer and place it on top of the ice cream. Repeat with the next layer of ice cream and then the next cereal layer.
- Garnish with whipped cream and fresh strawberries as desired.
- Cut into wedges and serve right away or freeze up to 30 minutes before serving.
- Tip: This cake is best served right after assembly. It is harder to eat if it has been frozen solid for many hours.
Super excited for this one!!! Especially with strawberry season upon us for hand picked garnish! Looks gorgeous and yet simple to put together.
I can’t wait to try this recipe! It combines everything I love to eat and even with my limited cooking skills, it looks like something I can actually make!
Ooh, this looks great! Strawberries are always a favorite summer dessert element and this looks super easy.
So going to try this! Love strawberries!
Yum!!!! I am so excited to try this recipe! All of Mirlandra’s recipes have been a hit at my house! This one looks super delish for summer!
Can’t wait to try these! They both look perfect for summer. And easy! Can’t beat that.
My mouth is watering – cannot wait to make this on Father’s Day – my family will LOVE it!
Sounds like a perfect Father’s Day meal!
wow that looks amazing. This gives me food goals I never knew I had
LOL! Always fun to try something new!
I was fortunate enough to get a piece of this cake and let me tell you it should be illegal. It is going to be the perfect treat for those 90+ degree days! Easy to make and cheap!
Well I hope they don’t outlaw good food anytime soon 🙂
Looks delicious! Think I will make it for the 4th if July!
Have fun! It is perfect for a gathering 🙂
I adore this photo. It looks like something to serve a fairy princess. The subtle strawberry flowers around the base add the perfect touch. I’m not exactly a fairy princess, but I love a good strawberry cheesecake ice cream and I am very eager to try this cake.
It is a touch girly 🙂
This looks elegant but simple to make. It would be a perfect ending to a grilled steak and veggies dinner out on the patio while this perfect summer weather lasts. Oh, now I’m hungry!
This looks DIVINE!!
I wouldn’t have thought to combine those ingredients into a fantastic dessert. I will give it a try!
It is such a fun combination!
I’m so excited to try this! I love a good rice-cereal treat and of course, ice cream! We host a lot of extended-family dinners and this looks like the perfect addition to the dessert list!
Oh wonderful – enjoy!
Oh I easy! The best fast summer mothers or Father’s Day dessert!
This looks delicious! I’ll have to try it…
This looks great! YUM!
Perfect timing as strawberry season is upon us! I am obsessed with strawberries and ice cream this time of year and this recipe looks like the perfect way to dress it up and share!
I can never resist strawberries in spring!
I’ve been following your moving adventure on Facebook. That’s what convinced me to look at this recipe. I know you are too busy for anything too fussy right now. Your cake looks delicious and I think my girlfriends will love it when I have them over. And, I’ve never heard of cheesecake strawberry ice cream. I will find it this week. It sounds like a perfect flavor combination!
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
You will love that ice cream! It is such a great treat!
I love everything in this cake! Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream and rice krispy treats. I need to make this for a family get together this summer!
Congratulations on reaching 150,000 followers on Pinterest! This cake would be the perfect way to celebrate – there’s just an extra special creaminess to Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream that I bet goes great with the crunchy rice cereal. Do you remember when Albertson’s had that Candy Bar ice cream? I thought that was about the best in the world. Have you ever tried making this cake with a chocolate ice cream?
Thank you! Yes, I remember that ice cream. It is still one of my favorites – I miss seeing it on the shelves!
What a photo! That strawberry flower garnish is adorable. I used to love corn flakes stirred into softened ice cream – can’t wait to try this ice cream/cereal combo.
That sounds fun! Thanks for sharing 🙂
My two favorites: Rice Crispy treats, and ice cream!!!! Yaaaaay! I’ve already sent your cake to a woman who can’t have wheat with a birthday tracking her down! lol.
You’re going to have content on Facebook, and I’m not on Facebook. Is there an alternate way to view this? Are you going to put it on YouTube (I hope)?
Thanks for all you share, Mirlandra!
Wonderful! I’m so glad she will have something great to enjoy. Birthdays without wheat can be rough 🙁
The long term plan has been to make more polished videos that are hosted here on the blog (like the Margarita ones). The ones I’m doing on FB are more casual and I use them as a place where readers can ask me questions while I’m cooking. However, your question is making me think about the options! I’m going to talk to Jonathan (he is my tech guru) and see what we can pull off. I did do some quick research just now and it looks like I can download the live videos off of FB and put them elsewhere. Now I just need to figure out our options on this end. Maybe we can fit it into the big redesign! Thanks for the suggestion and for popping in to say hi!!!