Tired of the same old ham glaze? Try an easy sweet glaze made from cookie butter! This recently popular spread has all the right flavors and spices to compliment a ham. Check out the recipe for tips and tricks to picking out the perfect ham to glaze.
Prepare to laugh at me. Cookie Butter Glazed Ham came about because Jonathan’s team at HP challenged me. A challenge is just a grown up dare. Apparently the 13 year old girl that once swallowed a live minnow is still alive and well somewhere inside of me!
A few weeks ago Jonathan came home from work with a new recipe idea. J and I have been cooking together for the better part of a decade and I’m pretty used to this – and to the concept that many of his food ideas come under the heading of outlandish. But I also can’t deny that many of them are also quite good – and often better than they initially sound.
Of course we just happened to have a big ham in the fridge (also Jonathan’s fault – the man acquires hams as if they might stop growing pigs!) and we just happened to have a potluck coming up at church. If I ever wonder about a recipe I just run it thorough the potluck test!
So – will it potluck? YES! Most people had never heard of cookie butter but they really enjoyed the ham with a cookie butter glaze.
It is different and unique but it is also delicious! And I love the idea of making something new that none of the guests have had before! Also it happens that Easter Sunday 2018 falls on April Fool’s Day… This really might be the year for a yummy but totally different ham! Nobody will know if you are having a joke or serving a wonderful dinner until they try it!
Have a great week. Thanks for stopping by to cook with me!
Tools In This Post: When you cook a ham with the face smack down on a glass or metal pan the meat cooks unevenly. You need some sort of rack to place the meat on for air flow. I like a pan like this because I can use it for ham, turkey, prime rib and all my other roasting needs.
This Healthy Mug Soup is another of Jonathan’s other crazy ideas that turned out to be really great.
Cookie Butter Glazed Ham
- 1 bone in ham spiral cut or not, about 7-11 pounds
- ½ cup cookie butter I’m using the one from Trader Joes
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 275 F. Line roasting pan with foil and place a rack on it.
- Remove all packaging from ham including any clear plastic over the bone. Score the ham if desired.
- Place ham flat / open side down on the rack of a roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast at 275 F for 12-15 minutes per pound until the coolest part of the ham is 140 F with a thermometer.
- Remove the ham from oven and increase temp to 425 F. Discard the foil covering the ham.
- Microwave the cookie butter 30-60 seconds until softened. Stir in brown sugar and butter.
- Brush glaze over ham making sure to push it into cracks if you scored the ham.
- Bake at 425 F. for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a serving platter.