This Creamy Black Bean Dip is simple, nutritious and high on protein. We use it as a dip for fresh veggies and corn chips at lunch time or as an appetizer at parties! This recipe is my go to when I need easy, healthy food that I can toss together for quickly for my lunch with my toddler.
These days I keep cans of seasoned chili beans in my pantry at all times. The used to just come as pink beans but now there are black chili beans and white chili beans! I whirl them up into this easy dip or stuff them into soups etc. Both the Winco brand and the S & W brand have great flavor.
Creamy Black Bean Dip
Bean dip is a great healthy option full of protein and easy on the wallet. This black bean dip is creamy and cheesy and very flavorful. I like to whip it up for simple, veggie rich lunches with the kids. We usually eat it as a dip but you could also use it as a filling for simple bean burritos!
It is also a wonderful appetizer and healthy party food.
Love Mexican style food? Check out my recipe for Taco Balls. They are one of Jonathan’s favorite dinners!
Creamy Black Bean Dip
- 1 can about 15oz black chili beans (S&W makes a great one)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Mexican cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1 large Roma tomato diced small
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro optional
- Diced avocado to garnish if desired
- Pour the standing liquid off the top of the beans so the level of liquid is just below the level of the beans in the can (the less liquid you use the thicker the dip). Puree the remaining liquid and the beans in a food processor with the sour cream.
- In a medium sized glass bowl, microwave the bean mixture with cheese for 30-45 seconds at a time until thoroughly melted. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomato and green onions. Taste and add salt if desired (if serving with salty chips you may not want it). Add cilantro if desired. Stir and serve warm with tortilla chips or fresh tortillas. Garnish with avocado chunks if desired.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and warmed again.
- Low Fat Cottage Cheese (small curd)
- Low Fat Sour Cream
- Goat Cheese (this is a better dairy option for people who are lactose intolerant)