We had such a yummy and easy dinner last night! Jonathan often requests a pasta dish with Alfredo sauce and more often than not I turn him down. I love to cook but sometimes sauces that require a lot of whisking and fuss seem like too much work. This one pan sausage Alfredo comes together in under 30 minutes with none of the whisking and other time consuming tasks I associate with Alfredo. I also love that it leaves me with only one pan to clean.
I wrote this recipe to focus on things Jonathan loves. I use an entire sausage so the pasta is loaded with meat. There are plenty of tasty mushrooms and not very many onions. It is easy to adapt this for your personal taste. You could easily use half of a sausage, or add an entire sweet onion at the beginning or omit the mushrooms if you dislike them. Treat this recipe as a place to experiment and find your perfect dinner.
Depending on where you live, it might be hard to find Louisiana brand crayfish boil seasoning in your local store. When I visit Texas I buy huge bags for $2 each. Where we live in Idaho, a tiny bag sells for $4 in the few stores where I can find it. If you don’t find it locally, try Amazon. I think it’s a great seasoning to have around. We use it for shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage, and of course, crayfish once in awhile. I just put a little in this dish – enough for a subtle background flavor but not enough to make it spicy or salty. Jonathan likes his to have more of the spicy flavor so he sprinkles some extra boil on top of his serving.
One Pot Sausage Alfredo
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 10 Baby Bella or Crimini mushrooms sliced
- 5 green onions cut into 1" pieces
- 12 oz Hillshire Farm Beef Sausage sliced into rounds
- 8 oz dry spiral noodles
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp coursely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning Tony Chachere is our favorite
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley minced
- salt to taste
- Select a large frying pan that has a lid - preferably glass so you can monitor the cooking food.
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and stir to coat with butter. Fry, stirring frequently to ensure even browning. As the edges turn crisp and golden add onions and sausage. Fry for an additional minute to heat sausage.
- Add noodles, water, cream, pepper, garlic and boil seasoning. Stir to combine. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. After the pasta mixture comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Check the pasta after 9 minutes. If it is not tender, cook an additional 1-3 minutes.
- When pasta is tender, remove from heat and stir in cheese and parsley. Taste for salt and pepper. You can add additional boil seasoning if you want this to be spicy/salty.
- Serve immediately with steamed broccoli and additional Parmesan cheese.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!