These Refried Beans get their amazing flavor from a smoked ham hock, several aromatic veggies and a bit of bacon drippings. I lick the spoon every time!
I am completely crazy about high quality Mexican food. I do like some of the canned refried beans in the store but none of them come close to this amazing recipe.
My husband loves Mexican food but dislikes beans in general. The notable exception to that rule is this refried bean recipe. He loves these and is always happy to see them on the table.
The secret to excellent refried beans is flavor. Beans are bland. They are a simple, wholesome food but for them to also be delicious you have to add a few things. I experimented with a few different versions before settling on this one. The combination of ingredients gave me the most flavorful refried beans I had ever had. Make sure you drop me a note and let me know what you think!
Tools In This Post: Over the last few months I have become quite fond of my Instant Pot. The 6 quart size works for most families. I cook for big groups and opted for the 8 quart size.
The other tool I love for refried beans is my Cuisinart Immersion Blender. They are inexpensive and easy to store. I use mine to make nice, smooth beans for this recipe and also when making jam and some of my soups. They are handy to have around.
If you are making refried beans take five more minutes and make this amazing salsa too. Friends have told me it is the best salsa they have ever had!
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- 1 pound dry pinto beans picked over
- 6 cups water
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 bunch of cilantro stems see note
- ½ sweet onion cut into four chunks
- 1 jalapeno pepper optional
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. bacon drippings
- 1-2 tsp. salt add after beans are cooked
- Including time to come to pressure, my Instant Pot has these done in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Look through beans and make sure there are no rocks etc.
- Put the beans, water, smoked pork hock, cilantro stems, onion, and black pepper into the pressure cooker. If you want to add the jalapeno remove the seeds or leave them in. Cut the pepper into 4 chunks and add it to the pressure cooker.
- Use a spoon to make sure all the beans are submerged in the water. Put the lid on the Instant Pot in the locked position. Make sure your vent is set to “sealing”.
- Select “Manual setting” and then “+” to increase the cooking time to 40 minutes on High Pressure. The display will show “on” after a few seconds and then the pot is coming up to pressure. Eventually the display will start counting down showing you how much time is left.
- When the pot is done cooking flip the vent to the “venting” position to do a quick release. When finished remove the lid.
- Remove the ham hock and eat or discard. Use an immersion blender to puree the beans.
- Stir in salt and bacon drippings and taste for seasonings. Add additional salt, bacon drippings or pepper as desired.
- Serve warm with your favorite foods. For bean dip I like to stir in some mixed Mexican cheese and serve hot.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!