Football parties, Halloween gatherings, easy dinners in a rush that make everybody in the family happy – it is definitely time for some Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches. These come together in a flash and have lots of customizable options satisfy anybody. Nobody will leave hungry after a pan of these come out of the oven!
This fall we all have about a million activities that require food. It is in fact one of my favorite things about food! First football season rolls out, then Halloween parties where we need something besides sugar, and finally the holiday season kickoff – THANKSGIVING!!! (Yes it is my favorite). In-between the parties our schedules get busy and sometimes you just need to get dinner on the table in a hurry.
These delectable Hot Ham and Cheese sandwiches fit the bill for all occasions! I give you the basic format, but you pick your favorite cheese and toppings! I like mine with seasoned butter, smoked gouda and caramelized onions. Jonathan’s favorite is the mustard poppy seed butter with Swiss and some yummy olive tapenade. In theory you could make every single sandwich in the pan a different way.
For a party I like to make each row with a different cheese. For dinner I lay out the toppings and cheeses and everybody puts theirs together before I pop the pan in the oven. The only problem is keeping the delicious ham out of people’s mouths long enough to get it on the sandwiches.
Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches With Two Topping Options
For The Seasoned Butter Topping
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- seasoning salt to taste
For the Mustard and Poppy Seed Butter Topping
- 3/4 cup salted butter very soft
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
For The Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 pounds Black Forest Ham thinly sliced
- 1 pound assorted cheese smoked gouda, Swiss, pepper jack or cheddar
- 12 slider rolls Hawaiian sweet rolls are delicious here
- caramelized onions
- olive tapenade
- sun dried tomatoes minced
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Slice rolls in half and lay the bottoms in the pan. Place a layer of cheese, then a layer of ham, and then a layer of cheese until the meat of cheese are portioned out.
- On top of the cheese add whatever condiments you desire. I suggest one or two options for each sandwich. Place the top of rolls on the sandwiches.
- Pick the seasoned butter topping or mustard poppy seed topping (or make both!)
- To make the seasoned butter topping, brush the melted butter over the tops of the sandwiches and then shake some seasoning salt on.
- To make the mustard poppy seed topping, combine the butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds and dehydrated onion.
- Spoon sauce over the rolls. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the sandwiches are hot through and the cheese is melted.
I read each and every comment and I try to respond to questions asap, so ask away! If you’ve made a recipe, I would love to hear about it! Please come back and share your experience and give the recipe a 5-star rating so other people will know how much you loved it!