We are a chocolate cherry household. If it’s date night, we order a chocolate cherry milkshake. Christmas brings box after box of the Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries. The only chocolate cherry fail we have ever had was wine (no big surprise I guess).
For Easter dinner Jonathan asked me to make a cherry version of my Dreamsicle Fluff Salad. Of course, it turned out he really wanted to eat whipped topping with jell-o in it and call it salad, but I love him so I made it. We took it to a family gathering and the bowl almost got licked clean. If only all salad were so sweet and creamy!
A few weeks later, in a true eureka moment, I decided to slather it between ice cream sandwiches and pour hot fudge over the resulting decadence. Of course I also created a new hot fudge sauce that is rich and dreamy and probably worthy of some famous award like an Oscar or a Pulitzer. Seriously, they should have those for original recipes and I should get one!
I know you might be tempted to pick up a bottle of chocolate syrup or a can of “hot fudge” from the store to make this cake easier. If you do, don’t tell me about it. I don’t want to know you! The chocolate sauce is seriously the best part and considering you have cherry fluff and ice cream sandwiches in the mix that is really saying something!
The chocolate sauce takes minutes to make from scratch and you will probably love me forever when you taste it! Besides, this cake is so simple, why cut corners?
This is my last post before Memorial Day Weekend (for which I know you will be making this treat). Please take a moment to think about the men and women who have dedicated their lives to protecting our country. I don’t always agree with the wars this country fights and they don’t always agree either. But they go anyways whenever they are called and the price they pay is high. Chances are you know a veteran who could use a kind word this weekend as they are remembering friends that are no longer with us.
Have a safe and peaceful Memorial Day!
If you like this post, try my easy Amaretto Ice Cream! You don’t even need an ice cream maker and it takes minutest to make from scratch ice cream.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 ice cream sandwiches I used a generic brand from Winco
- 1 tub cool whip thawed
- 1 package of cherry jell-o 3oz
- maraschino cherries to garnish as desired
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer. You do not have to stir but watch that it does not go past a simmer.
- Add chocolate chips and brown sugar. Stir until all the chips are melted, removing from heat when they are half melted.
- Add the butter, vanilla and salt. Stir until combined and the sauce is smooth without any sugar grains. Set aside to cool while you assemble the cake.
- Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches and set aside.
- Whisk together the cool whip and jell-o powder in a medium bowl.
- Layer the ice cream sandwiches and cherry frosting on a platter as desired. Different brands of ice cream sandwiches are different shapes and sizes. I placed four on the platter and then stacked the sandwiches three high. You can spread the cherry filling between the layers and on top, leaving the sides bare. There is enough cherry frosting to frost the sides and ends if you like.
- Drizzle some of the chocolate sauce over the top of the cake and garnish with cherries. Serve with leftover chocolate sauce. If the sauce becomes too cool, warm it gently in the microwave until it reaches a nice pouring consistency.
- Serve right away or freeze until ready to serve. Store leftovers in the freezer in a container with a tight lid and eat soon. Refrigerate leftover chocolate sauce (if you have any).
The slate serving tray pictured is actually a cheese tray and a gift from a dear friend of mine. It is a wonderful serving platter for this because it can be frozen and helps keep the cake cold while you are serving.
Free Simple Weeknight Meal Plan!
Sign up here for your free plan and start rocking dinner!