This easy dinner combines delicious Mexican flavors into a moist meatloaf with a cheesy top. It is weeknight friendly, taking only 10 minutes to prep. Make it with ground turkey or ground beef for a gluten free, high protein dinner! It can be made as a freezer meal and leftovers heat up well.
- 2 lbs hamburger no more than 12% fat can sub ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion optional
- 1 chopped bell pepper your favorite color or 4 chopped jalapenos with or without seeds
- 2 packages of taco seasoning or what you usually use for 2 lbs of beef – gluten free if desired
- 2 cups cooked Mexican or white rice not packed into the measuring cup
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup salsa I used Pace brand
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or favorite cheese for tacos
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a loaf pan (9.25”x5.25”x2.75”) with nonstick spray and set aside.
Crumble the beef into a bowl. Add onion, pepper, taco seasoning, rice and eggs.
If desired use food service gloves or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray. Use your hands to mix the contents of the bowl just until combined but do not over mix or mash.
Put the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, pressing slightly to make the loaf flat on top. Spread the salsa over the top and bake in a preheated oven until it has reached 160 F, about 40-60 minutes.
Scatter the cheese over the top and melt / brown the cheese under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
Serve With Your Favorite Taco Toppings
additional Mexican Rice
flour or corn tortillas
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 398mg | Potassium: 124mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 204mg | Iron: 1mg