Spicy Ketchup AKA Thunder and Lightning Ketchup
This spicy ketchup is flavorful and not too spicy. It is easy to make and a fun addition to ribs, meatloaf, roasted chicken and so many more staples.
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 onion yellow
- 1/2 cup deli-sliced peperoncini peppers
- 1 #10 can ketchup 114oz
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup white cooking wine I use cheap dry white from Trader Joes $2-$3 / bottle
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cayanne pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground clove
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2` tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. Tabasco Sauce original flavor (red)
- 1/2 cup honey
Toss bell pepper, onion, and peperoncini slices in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely minced.
Add minced veggies and everything else except the honey to a large heavy-bottomed soup pot.
Cook on medium-high heat until the sauce starts to bubble. Turn it down to a simmer and continue to cook for an hour. Stir often enough to keep from burning. I like to set a timer and check every 10 minutes or so.
Stir in 1/2 cup honey and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
Decant and refrigerate.
Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 26mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 0.2mg